handling unknown recipients
Tilman Schmidt
2016-04-26 14:07:48 UTC
Running Postfix with amavisd-new and quarantining attachments seems to
produce an unfortunate interaction when mail with a banned attachment
arrives for an unknown recipient:
Amavis checks the mail for banned attachments before checking whether
the recipient exists.
If $warnbannedrecip = 1 it then proceeds to emit a notification about
the banned attachment to the non-existing recipient, which promptly
bounces to the notification sender address, typically an administrator.
If $warnbannedsender = 1 the sender gets notified that her mail was
quarantined without mentioning that the recipient doesn't even exist.
Neither result is desirable.

Is there a way to validate the recipient address before bothering with
the content of the mail?

TIA,
Tilman
@lbutlr
2016-04-28 01:42:20 UTC
Post by Tilman Schmidt
Running Postfix with amavisd-new and quarantining attachments seems to
produce an unfortunate interaction when mail with a banned attachment
WHya re you ever accepting mail for a user that doesn’t exist?
Post by Tilman Schmidt
Is there a way to validate the recipient address before bothering with
the content of the mail?
Yes, have postfix check for valid users first before passing the message to amavis.
--
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It
explains a lot about them.
Tilman Schmidt
2016-04-29 08:24:43 UTC
Post by @lbutlr
Post by Tilman Schmidt
Running Postfix with amavisd-new and quarantining attachments seems to
produce an unfortunate interaction when mail with a banned attachment
WHya re you ever accepting mail for a user that doesn’t exist?
Because I do not know how to avoid it in that specific situation.
That's actually my reason for asking that question.
That is indeed my intention. My question was how to do that.
@lbutlr
2016-04-30 00:24:54 UTC
Post by Tilman Schmidt
That is indeed my intention. My question was how to do that.
I don’t know ho you have setup amavis and postfix, but following the setup instructions I don’t seem to have this problem.
--
"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others."
Samuel Johnson
Noel Butler
2016-04-30 02:13:22 UTC
Post by Tilman Schmidt
Post by @lbutlr
Post by Tilman Schmidt
Is there a way to validate the recipient address before bothering
with
the content of the mail?
Yes, have postfix check for valid users first before passing the
message to amavis.
That is indeed my intention. My question was how to do that.
This is best for the postfix "users" list, see
http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

... that said... google: postfix smtpd_recipient_restrictions

As a side note, I don't know what you've done, because postfix out of
the box will not do what yours is apparently doing.
--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
first read http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/