Future of amavisd and reporting bugs?
Alex
2016-02-24 15:16:01 UTC

I've been using amavisd-new for years (decades?) and noticed that it's
not really maintained any longer. Marc last released a new version in
2014 and the list volume here has slowed to hardly one message per
day.

Are people finding alternatives? I understand there's mimedefang and
spamd to support spamassassin, but do they offer all the same support
as amavisd?

I'm working with a developer to figure out how to catch those Word
macro viruses, and we're finding a bunch of amavisd bugs. I'd like to
fix them, but we can't do it all on our own.

There doesn't even really seem to be a place where people are
reporting bugs and scheduling them to be fixed. Does some kind of
bugzilla exist that I'm missing?

Does some kind of roadmap exist?

Thanks,
Alex
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2016-02-24 15:30:39 UTC
--On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:16 AM -0500 Alex
Post by Alex
Hi,
I've been using amavisd-new for years (decades?) and noticed that it's
not really maintained any longer. Marc last released a new version in
2014 and the list volume here has slowed to hardly one message per
day.
I guess you haven't read the recent list traffic, where he announced an
upcoming version?

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Platform Architect
A division of Synacor, Inc
Alex
2016-02-24 16:17:51 UTC
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
Post by Alex
I've been using amavisd-new for years (decades?) and noticed that it's
not really maintained any longer. Marc last released a new version in
2014 and the list volume here has slowed to hardly one message per
day.
I guess you haven't read the recent list traffic, where he announced an
upcoming version?
Yes, I've seen references to 2.10.2 and 2.11, but no real definite
plans or a scheduled release, or a place to track bugs and code.
Please tell me if I'm missing that.

I'm not saying it's time to leave amavis. I've also noticed Marc
posting more frequently. Just wanted to know it's evolving with the
increased support requirements from my users.
Benning, Markus
2016-02-24 16:33:47 UTC
Post by Alex
I've been using amavisd-new for years (decades?) and noticed that it's
not really maintained any longer. Marc last released a new version in
2014 and the list volume here has slowed to hardly one message per
day.
Marc is currently preparing the next release.
Post by Alex
I'm working with a developer to figure out how to catch those Word
macro viruses, and we're finding a bunch of amavisd bugs. I'd like to
fix them, but we can't do it all on our own.
There doesn't even really seem to be a place where people are
reporting bugs and scheduling them to be fixed. Does some kind of
bugzilla exist that I'm missing?
I posted some patches to the mailing list in the past, but it's
difficult
do keep track of such patches.
Mark almost missed to include 2 patches for the next release.

I created a repository based on the releases at:

https://github.com/benningm/amavisd-new

It could be used as a staging area to collect patches for inclusion in
upstream.

Markus
https://markusbenning.de/
Quanah Gibson-Mount
2016-02-25 03:10:14 UTC
--On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:17 AM -0500 Alex
Post by Alex
Hi,
Post by Quanah Gibson-Mount
Post by Alex
I've been using amavisd-new for years (decades?) and noticed that it's
not really maintained any longer. Marc last released a new version in
2014 and the list volume here has slowed to hardly one message per
day.
I guess you haven't read the recent list traffic, where he announced an
upcoming version?
Yes, I've seen references to 2.10.2 and 2.11, but no real definite
plans or a scheduled release, or a place to track bugs and code.
Please tell me if I'm missing that.
I'm not saying it's time to leave amavis. I've also noticed Marc
posting more frequently. Just wanted to know it's evolving with the
increased support requirements from my users.
I'm not clear why you'd think something that released as recently as 2014
was no longer being developed. The DSPAM folks would argue dspam is still
being developed, despite the fact it has no active developers and no
release since 2012.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount